Rank: Captain
Regiment: 55th Sqdn Royal Flying Corps
Formerly: Cheshire Regiment, Sherwood Foresters
Killed In Action Monday 23rd April 1917 Age 22County Memorial Styal
Grave\Panel Ref: North East Quarter

Born 21 August 1894 at Bolton, baptised 14 September 1894, at Christ Church, Walmsley, Lancashire, son of sewing cotton manufacturer, Ernest William and Marian, (nee Cross) Greg, of Higher Dunscar House, Turton, Lancashire. Arthur was the eldest son in a family of five children, he had two elder sisters, Margaret Hyde and Helen Kynaston, along with his brothers, Robert Philips and Alexander Carlton. His brother, Robert was also a casualty of the Great War.

Arthur was educated at Rugby, where he featured in the boxing team, at featherweight. He left in 1913, going to New College, Oxford, here he joined the O.T.C.

At the outbreak of war, Arthur joined 15 August 1914, initially as a 2nd Lieutenant in the 3rd Reserve Battalion Cheshire Regiment. He was drafted to France, 25 October 1914, where he was attached to the 2nd Battalion, Notts and Derby Regiment, (Sherwood Foresters), 18th Brigade, 6 Division. Arthur was invalided home, however, once recovered he returned to the Front line in January 1915, and was attached to the 1st Battalion Cheshire Regiment, who were in the 15th Brigade, 5th Division. On 2 February 1915 he was promoted to Lieutenant, yet again he was severely wounded at Ypres on 6 May 1915, shot through the jaw by a German sniper, he was taken to No 7 Stationary Hospital, Boulogne, and then sent home for 3 months recuperation. Arthur was promoted to Captain, 19 November 1915 with the 3rd Reserve Battalion, Cheshire Regiment, having qualified as Bombing Instructor at the Bidston, Wirral, training camp in September 1915. His next move came when he was attached to the Royal Flying Corps as a candidate, training in England and Vendome, France, in September 1916. On 28 February 1917 he was moved to the 44th Reserve Squadron. He was gazetted, AIR 76/195/99, 27 March 1917, Flying Officer Captain A. T. Greg. Arthur joined the 55th Squadron on 4 April 1917 and nineteen days later, flying at about 18,000 feet he was shot, his observer managed to bring the machine down, just inside the French lines at Urvillers neat St Quentin, he died Monday, 23 April 1917, of his injuries, he was aged 22 years.


Medals: 1914 Star and Clasp, British War Medal and Victory Medal.

These medals were sent to his father, Colonel, Ernest William Greg, who was now resident at Northcliffe Hall, Styal, Cheshire.

Cheshire County Memorial Project would like to thank H.A.G Carlisle for this information on Arthur.