Rank: Gunner
Service Number: 150546.
Regiment: 202nd Siege Bty. Royal Garrison Artillery Died Saturday 19th January 1918 Age 32County Memorial Congleton
Grave\Panel Ref: I.B.4.

Son of Mr. Herbert Bailey and Mrs. Jane Bailey, (nee Pickford) of 63, Mill Street, Congleton, Cheshire and 13, Nelson Street, Congleton, Cheshire, and Husband of Mrs. Mary Louisa Bailey (nee Norton) of Off Lawton Street, Congleton, Cheshire, 13, Sheffield St, Heaton Norris, Stockport, Cheshire and 16, Edward Street, Northwich, Cheshire. He had one daughter, Nellie Bailey aged 9.

Extract from the Congleton Chronicle 1918.

He was married at the Trinity Methodist Church, Cumberland Street, Macclesfield in 1880. He was before taking up residence in Northwich some two years ago connected with the Rood Lane, Wesleyan Church.

He had been engaged at Messrs Brewster, Mead and Company Works and had made many friends in the district. He joined the Royal Garrison Artillery in March 1917 and a month later went out to France. It is only a few weeks ago that he was wounded and gassed.

The death at a Casualty Clearing Station in France from Pneumonia of Gunner Herbert Bailey, of the Royal Garrison Artillery, occurred on the 19th January 1918. His wife resides at 16, Edward Street, Northwich, while his parents reside at 13, Nelson Street, Congleton, his father being a fustian worker. The official notification together with a message of regret and sympathy from the King and Queen was received by his wife, who also received a letter from the Major Commanding the Battery, who said. I very much regret to have to inform you that your husband died on the 19th January 1918 in hospital from acute pneumonia. The officers join with me in giving you our deepest sympathy, in your loss. His parents have also received several letters of sympathy, including the following from the Rev, J. P. Cooper. C.F, The Non-Conformist Chaplain.

Dear Mrs. Bailey,
I am sorry to inform you that your son Gunner H. Bailey died in the hospital on Saturday January 19th, 1918 and was buried today (Monday) in the Arneke Military Cemetery attached. He had contracted pneumonia, but was cheerful notwithstanding. I visited him regularly for three or four days before he passed away and I can assure you that he had every comfort. The Sister especially was very kind to him and both the Doctors did all they could for him. In the last conversation I had with him, he talked very much of you and you may be sure his affection for you was very great. He was fully prepared to go happy in his relationship with our Eternal Father. He had no pale towards the end and simply fell asleep. Our affection goes out to you and we pray you may be sustained in this great loss. He did what he could for his home and country and his life laid down will not go unrewarded. Much sympathy is felt for his widow and little daughter.

Cheshire County Memorial Project would like to thank John and Christopher Pullen for the information on Herbert.