Gunner Albert Green
Son of John, and Mary Green 219 Park Lane Poynton. Albert had a brother William, and sister Edith. John was a coal hewer in Lord Vernon’s mines.
During the First World War, Commonwealth camps and hospitals were stationed on the southern outskirts of Rouen. A base supply depot and the 3rd Echelon of General Headquarters were also established in the city. Almost all of the hospitals at Rouen remained there for practically the whole of the war. They included eight general, five stationary, one British Red Cross and one labour hospital, and No. 2 Convalescent Depot. A number of the dead from these hospitals were buried in other cemeteries, but the great majority were taken to the city cemetery of St. Sever. In September 1916, it was found necessary to begin an extension, where the last burial took place in April 1920. During the Second World War, Rouen was again a hospital centre and the extension was used once more for the burial of Commonwealth servicemen, many of whom died as prisoners of war during the German occupation. The cemetery extension contains 8,346 Commonwealth burials of the First World War (ten of them unidentified).
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission states Albert died of wounds 11thOctober, but the Stockport advertiser printed Albert’s death below;
“Official news has been received by Mr and Mrs John Green of Co-operative Cottages Poynton that their eldest son Gunner Albert Green, has died in hospital at Rouen on October 18th from gunshot wounds received in action on the Cambria front on the 14thOctober. Gunner Albert Green who was 22 years of age joined the colours so recently as April 8th of this year, when after 10 weeks training he was drafted out to France. Before enlisting he was employed at Lord Vernon’s colliery, and was associated with the United Methodist Free Church, and Sunday school, and also a member of the church choir. He was well known and respected in the village”
The 126-Siege Battery were formed at Sheerness on the 8thApril 1916. They were posted to France on the 25thof July, joining the 14thH A G on the 2ndof August. The Battery used the 8-inch Howitzer. The Howitzer fires its shell steeply upwards, so that it drops down on the target from a high angle, thereby assisting penetration through concrete and any other protection. This is opposed to an ordinary artillery piece that fires its shells in a fairly flat trajectory, like a very large rifle bullet
Siege Artillery Battery consisted of (6 x 8" Howitzers)
Battery: Major, Captain, 6 Subalterns, BSM, BQMS, 7 Sergeants, 2 Smiths, 1 Wheeler, 2 Trumpeters, 8 Corporals, 12 Bombardiers, 180 Gunners, 8 Batmen.
Attached: Armament Artificer AOC.
Transport personnel: 2 Subalterns, 4 Sergeants, 10 Corporals, 90 Drivers, 2 Batmen.
From 17 November, 1917 to the end of the war 126 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery was under the command of the 71st Brigade Fourth Army.
The Battery were involved during the build up to the 11th October artillery preparations for the crossing of the Selle. At the time the 71st Brigade, RGA (including 126 Siege Battery, RGA) were part of the artillery allotment for the battle, as part of the heavy artillery attached to the American II Corps.
The inscription on Albert’s headstone says “Thy will be done”