Rank: Sapper
Service Number: 43476.
Regiment: 73rd Field Coy. Royal Engineers Killed In Action Sunday 26th September 1915 Age 44County Memorial Congleton
Commemorated\Buried LOOS MEMORIAL
Grave\Panel Ref: Panel 4 and 5.

Son of Mr. Thomas Gallimore, and Mrs. Catherine Gallimore, of 16, Elizabeth Street, Congleton, Cheshire, and 41, Dane Street, Congleton, Cheshire and husband of Mrs. Elizabeth Gallimore, (nee Hall), of 29, Dane Street, Congleton, Cheshire. They were married at St Stephen's Church, Congleton, Cheshire in 1893. He had one son Albert Gallimore, D.C.M. who was killed in action on the 29th of May 1917. He had four brothers, John Thomas, William, Allan and Arthur Gallimore. Prior to the First World War, he had seen action in the South African War. His brother Allan served with the Cheshire Regiment, he was discharged on the 27th of November 1916, being medically unfit for war service, he died later. Charles enlisted in the 5th V.B. Cheshire Regiment and during the South African War volunteered for active service and went out with the Special Service Company securing the medal with four clasps. Only four of the old Volunteers went out from Congleton. Charles Gallimore, Arthur Gallimore, A. Chell and James Carney. The latter was the first Congleton man to fall in the war.

Extracts from the War Diary of the Royal Engineers.

On the night of the 24th/25th of September 1915 the Company formed up ready for the assault as follows, No. 1 and 2. Sections in trench 27, No. 3. and 4. At Fosse 7. No. 1. and 2. Sections followed the Black Watch and Seaforth Highlanders respectively, as soon as his Section was extended Lieutenant Inglis was killed and the command fell upon Sergeant Baldwin. Both Sections continued their advance about 100 yards in rear of the infantry until they came to the barbed wire in front of Loos. Here Second Lieutenant Ryan and 11 men were killed or wounded and the command of No. 2. Section fell upon Sergeant Baldwin, who although wounded in the leg continued to carry on for the rest of the day and night. In front of Loos the Sections separated, No. 1. Following the main body of infantry and No. 2. leaving the village on their right. No. 1. Section worked through Loos with the Infantry and eventually arriving at the Ridge of Hill 70. They remained here until driven back to a line behind the Ridge where the Infantry were digging themselves in. The Section then assisted the infantry until they were withdrawn about 22 00 hours by order of the Brigadier. In the meantime, No. 2. Section proceeded by the outskirts of Loos to a point about 60 yards from the top of Hill 70. On their way they picked up a party of infantry without an Officer and these joined forces with the Royal Engineers. Three cables were cut at this point by the Sergeant in command. They then advanced with the object of reinforcing the Black Watch and Seaforth Highlanders, but they came under such heavy fire that they had to lie down. When the infantry retired over the ridge, the Royal Engineers helped them to dig in and a part of the Section remained behind all night to help hold the line. No. 3. and No. 4. Sections waited in the rear of the Gordon Highlanders until they advanced, during this wait No. 4. Section were ordered to bridge a trench over the Lens road. During this operation Second Lieutenant Nolan (No. 4.) was killed and 10 N.C.O.s and men were either killed or wounded. Captain Carden then took command and ordered the Sections to advance behind the Gordon Highlanders on a point between Loos Towers and the Windmill. At Loos the Officer Commanding the Gordon Highlanders ordered Captain Carden to advance to Hill 70. At about 09 30 hours they reached the crest of the hill and saw some infantry in the Keep, hard pressed. The Royal Engineers then advanced to the Keep and tried to hold it. All however had to retire as the machine gun fire was so hot. They went back behind the Ridge and started to dig in, but Captain Carden decided to have another go at the Keep and advanced again with the Royal Engineers, only after he and Lieutenant Johnson had themselves put a machine gun in position. They advanced to the Keep and Captain Carden, Lieutenant Johnson and about 16 Royal Engineers got in, but had to come out again. At this point Captain Carden was seriously wounded and Lieutenant Johnson was wounded in the leg, but carried on until nightfall. The Royal Engineers now retired to the line and helped the infantry who had arrived in support, to dig in. About 10 Royal Engineers remained behind all night to help hold the line, the remainder came out. It was during this action that Sapper George Gallimore was killed in action. His body was never recovered but he is remembered on the Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France.

Extract from the Congleton Chronicle 1916.

News has been received though not from an official source that Sapper Charles Gallimore, of the Royal Engineers has been killed. He had been posted as missing since last September and for over seven months enquiries have been made through every available channel. Information was sought from the Enquiry Department for Wounded and Missing, Carlton House Terrace, with the result that Mrs. Gallimore received the following letter,

Dear, Madam,       3rd March 1916.

I regret to say that the only news we have succeeded in obtaining about Sapper Charles Gallimore, No 43476 of the 73rd Field Company Royal Engineers is extremely sad. Sapper Mason, Royal Engineers now in hospital abroad, place unknown, states that Sapper Gallimore went over the parapet just in front of where he himself was waiting in reserve, at the very beginning of the advance on the 25th of September. Sapper Gallimore was following Lieutenant Inglis who was instantly shot through the breast. I regret to say that Sapper Mason adds that Sapper Gallimore was also killed in the attack and that he saw the body. Mason was under the impression that a burial party had gone out.

Yours, Truly,     

Mrs. G. G. Beckles.

The Enquiry Department of the Red Cross never take a single report as certain, as even eye witnesses are sometimes mistaken, but the fact that notwithstanding continued enquiries through the agency, nothing has been heard of him since he was seen to fall, leads to the conclusion that he has fallen victim to the enemy fire. Further the prisoners lists from Germany do not include his name. A letter from Private Albert Gallimore of the 1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment (son of missing soldier) corroborates the story that he was killed in the attack on the 25th of September 1915. The letter which was received by Sergeant Arthur Gallimore, of Silk Street, Congleton reads,

I am going on alright, although I have been having a rough time of it out here of late. I am happy as can be expected under the circumstances. I have been attached to the 72 nd Company of the Royal Engineers among whom are many that knew my father, and who speak of him as a spirited and lively fellow. He was a great favourite among them. The news that he was killed last September at Loos is quite right, for it appears that when the West Surrey Regiment retired my father's Company advanced and took the point and that is how he got it. I do not mind so long as he died an honourable death.

Cheshire County Memorial Project would like to thank John and Christopher Pullen for the information on Charles.